I recently stumbled upon an article on the BBC website which is probably worth a mention in this week's post. The article is entitled '12 Questions we need to prioritise in 2017' and each question is answered by a series of relevant experts.
The reason this article stood out to me is not because the answers have a geospatial focus, but rather that they don't and should have a geospatial focus - (for most of them at least).
Therefore, perhaps when presenting these questions to world leaders, we should also be asking them about their national geospatial policies and spatial data infrastructure (SDI) capabilities. Here they are (followed by some useful definitions):
1. "How can we avoid resistance to antibiotics?"
Tsai-Ing-wen- President of Taiwan
2. "What can we do to conserve water — especially in the face of climate change and urbanisation?"
- Jacob Zuma - President of South Africa
3. "How do we fight ‘fake news’?"
- Mariano Rajoy - Prime Minister of Spain
4. "In an interconnected world, how do we fight global disease?"
- Enda Kenny - Taoiseach of the Republic of Ireland
5. "How will we deal with overpopulation?"
- Theresa May - Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
6. "How will the era of big data and artificial intelligence shape our health?"
- Sheikh Hasina - Prime Minister of Bangladesh
7. "How can we safely use gene editing technology in humans?"
Donald Trump - President of the United States
8. "How do we make cities more sustainable and pleasant for the people who live there?"
- Location - "a particular place or position."
9. "How can we keep extending our life expectancies?"
- GIS - Geographic Information Systems
10. "How can rapidly developing regions grow effectively?"
- Database - "a comprehensive collection of related data organized for convenient access, generally in a computer."
11. "How can we better inform people about natural disasters?"
- Map - "a diagrammatic representation of an area of land or sea showing physical features, cities, roads, etc."
12. "Car ownership continues to rise worldwide — how will we accommodate this?"
- Geospatial - "of or relating to the relative position of things on the earth's surface" (Collins English Dictionary)